Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pumpkin Scones

Saturday was a typical rainy, cold, fall day up here in the mountains and we needed something warm for breakfast.  Our typical lazy breakfast of cold cereal wasn't going to cut it.  I looked though my pumpkin recipes and found one for pumpkin scones.  Now, in my family, scones are much different than what you'd get at a pastry shop.  Ours are basically fried bread dough that we lather in butter and cover in powdered sugar.  The recipe I found was one for "normal" scones.  Our scones are infinitely better than "normal" scones.  Always.  But I thought I'd give them a shot anyway.  You know, for the kids (who were actually really excited about them).

Here's what you need:

2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 stick cubed cold butter
2/3 c. pumpkin
3/4 c. cream

First, preheat oven to 400*.  Or, if you're slow like me, you can do this halfway through the prep work because you forgot and still have plenty of time to spare.

Next combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium sized bowl.  I *accidently* added a little extra spice.  You can never have too much!

Then toss in the little cubes of cold butter and google "pastry blender".  Then google "what to do if you don't have a pastry blender".  At least, that's what I did.  I ended up using a fork to mash them up and used my fingers once I got tired of the fork.  It definitely took a while and I'll be ordering a pastry blender from Amazon before I make these again!

Did you preheat the oven yet??

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and the cream and stir it into the flour mixture. On a floured surface, pat the mixture into an 8-inch square-ish shape.  Make sure you put enough flour down so it doesn't stick to your counter, or you'll have to ball it up and start over.  And, yes, I'm speaking from experience.


Then cut into triangles, like so...


I wanted smaller ones so I ended up cutting them in half again. Also, a pizza cutter is for more than just cutting pizzas!

Transfer to a greased baking sheet and toss them (but not literally) in the oven for 20 minutes.  I sprinkled the tops of mine with a little bit of pumpkin pie spice before baking them.

Add a little butter to the scones and a glass of milk, and you'll have a perfect little breakfast to kick off the fall season!

1 comment:

efletchey said...

I usually use two knives for anything needing a pastry blender. However, it would be smart to invest in an actual pastry blender if you're going to use it often. Keep updating! I like to read others thoughts on recipes that they've tried out.